Wow, I cannot believe this semester is already over. It seems like just weeks ago I was writing my first post here, telling you all about myself and what my goals for the upcoming few months were. Well, these few months are over now, and I can tell you they sure have been great! I have really learned so much from this English 125 class that I will keep with me for the rest of my life.
With this final project, the PSA, I chose to focus my attention on the social networking site, Pinterest (as you can see from my previous blog posts here, and here, and here). This was a very interesting project for me and I learned a lot, both about the subject – Pinterest – itself as well as about what all goes on behind the scenes of making a video.
When I first started this project, I had somewhat of an idea on what I was going to be researching and talking about. I knew I wanted to focus on the gender inequality of the site and how different people view and use the webpage. However, I did not know exactly where I was headed with this video and what all it would encompass. As I went, it got easier and easier to see the final product. I kept with the gender topic on how girls and guys use Pinterest. Then I also looked into how Pinterest affects society as a whole, and how Pinterest relates back to writing and rhetoric. This was definitely the more challenging part of the basic project because I was not exactly sure how to tie Pinterest back to writing and what we have learned in this class over the semester. I do think I could have looked into this with a little more detail, but overall I think I got the major point across that Pinterest is, in a way, a form of writing. It may not always be educational writing, but it is a form of literature.
Even more challenging though, was physically putting the movie together. I had no idea that it would take so much time and work to put together the different clips and add all of the extra effects. It took Tiffany (my partner) and I about five hours to shoot all of the footage and then approximately an additional twenty or so hours, when combining all the time, to edit the film and put everything together. Our final video does not even include the majority of what we filmed either. We have probably twenty minutes of unused filming. This taught me that a lot more goes into things, whether it is a video, a different type of project, a website, etc. that one would normally guess.
Overall, I learned a lot from this project. I learned an immense amount about videos and making movies (this was the first time I ever made a movie!). I also learned how to conduct my own primary research. We had a reading and talked about primary research, but I had never truly gone out on my own and done something like this. It was fun and extremely interesting to obtain and analyze this new data. This final project also helped me further my understanding of rhetoric, composition, and analytical work in general. I really got to know what each of these terms means and how it applies to the educational world.
I greatly enjoyed this final PSA project and I am so proud of how it turned out. I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to take this English 125 class and hopefully I can keep growing and learning as a writer.